Let's see how much you remember from our classes last week! Please fill in the blanks in each sentence below with the correct word from our word bank.
DNA genome chromosome element helix
RNA gene nucleus compound double
heredity allele cell trait single
1. Material found in all living things that carries genetic instructions is known as ____________________.
2. This material is shaped like a ____________________________ with ___________________ strands.
3. A ___________________is a unit of heredity that is transferred from parent to offspring to determine characteristics of the offspring.
4. We inherit one ______________________________ for each gene from each parent>
5. The smallest unit of a living organism, and the basic unit of life, is called a _____________________.
6. Another word for characteristic is ___________________________.
7. A spiral shape is also known as a _________________________________.
8. The information and administration center of a cell is defined as its ____________________________.
9. An ____________________________ is a substance found naturally on earth, cannot be broken down into other substances, and is made from only one type of cell.
10. A _________________________ is made of two or more types of elements.
Bonus: Any time two atoms join together, they create a _________________________? If the atoms in this substance come from different elements, it would also be called a compound. Can you give an example of one?
Part Two: Now let's see how many words you can unscramble from the boxes below. Use your science notebook as you copy them down! Use each word in a sentence to show you understand its meaning!