Tonight we will look at five idioms and discuss their meaning.
1. A house divided against itself cannot stand.
2. A leopard cannot change his spots.
3. A penny saved is a penny earned.
4. A picture paints a thousand words.
5. This assignment is a "piece of cake."
Instructions: When we look at each sentence, if we provide exact meaning we are only "paraphrasing." This means you are taking the literal meaning and just putting it into your own words.
However, when we look at idioms, we are looking for "meaning." When we apply meaning to a sentence, we are now making "inferences."
We will talk about the differences in class, and we will try to both paraphrase and make inferences on the above idioms to show the differences.