November 20 and 21, 2023 Skills and Review (Part One)
Directions: For the following questions, please answer to the best of your ability. You will find a variety of skills we have covered so far, including a writing piece at the end! Enjoy, and Happy Thanksgiving!!
1. True False "At the party" is a complete sentence.
2. True False "He laughed so loud we could hear him across town" is an example of a hyperbole.
3. True False "The cup looked ready to jump from the edge of the table" shows personification.
4. True False A sentence cannot have two subjects.
5. True False A sentence that is a command, such as "Sit down quietly, please" has a subject we cannot see.
6. I am so happy to see that you passed (your, you're) test!
7. Is this (your, you're) first time in the computer lab for the HiSET?
8. (Your, You're) doing a great job!
9. (Its, It's) a wonderful time of year!
10. The table was lying on (its, it's) back legs.
11. "Her face was as red as a beet" is an example of (simile, alliteration).
12. "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers" is an example of (simile, alliteration).
Please provide the subject in the following sentences:
13. Tom could not find his keys this morning. ___________________________________________
14. Sally and Leon were excited about the holidays. _____________________________________
15. In the middle of the night, I heard a strange noise. ___________________________________
16. What are you doing tomorrow evening? ____________________________________________
17. Raquel, when will you visit? ______________________________________________________
18. Yes, Juan will win the game! ______________________________________________________
19. Do you know when we can start the party? _________________________________________
20. How far do we have to drive? ____________________________________________________
Please find the verb (or simple predicate) in the following sentences:
21. Jan and Sylvia swim so well. ______________________________________________________
22. I baked cakes and frosted them right after. __________________________________________
23. The children played hard all day! __________________________________________________
24. Shawn and Marcos ran different races and won! ______________________________________
25. Who is the author of this book? ____________________________________________________
Idioms! Is each one being used correctly?
26. I hope we don't feel seasick because we are all in the same boat. yes no
27. I felt bad that Tim didn't get the job, but we later found out it was a blessing in disguise. yes no
28. That guy has a chip on his shoulder; maybe he needs to put pretzels there instead. yes no
29. This review is a piece of cake; everyone is finding it so easy! yes no
30. Diandra doesn't say much, but she helps everyone she can. She knows that actions
speak louder than words. yes no
Inference! Can you create one from the sentences below?
31. Antonio rushed into class, with a big smile on his face. He quickly put his books down on the table and hurried to the front of the room. He waited for the students to settle in before he began to speak.
Paraphrase this sentence:
32. The phone call was an important one that came from the John Benjamin Company. They set up an appointment with Andrew for an interview at 9AM the very next day.
Are these words used correctly in each sentence?
33. You provide an autograph when somebody else signs your name. True False
34. A telegraph is a message that can come from far away. True False
35. When you are at an automated machine, the store worker does the work. True False
36. If you are in a self-service line, you will be expected to serve yourself. True False