Using the WORD BANK below, please fill in each blank with the vocabulary word that best fits each sentence. Remember that words may have different connotations, and you must read the entire sentence for meaning in order to select the correct one!
integrating transcend hamstring cause
theme defense free agent effect
first string offense scrimmage fact
side-lined scout roster opinion
decade dampened compassion conflict
1) The players who try to stop opposing players from scoring and protect the goal area, are known as the __________________________________.
2. When you stop separating people and instead put them together to work or play as a unit, you are
3. This story will _______________________________time because generations of readers will continue to enjoy reading it.
4. The football player pulled a _____________________________, which is one of three muscles found between the hip and knee; it is an easy muscle to injure.
5. The feeling that you take away from a story that is often in the form of inspiration or motivation you can use in your own lives (such as "Hard work pays off") is known as the story's _______________________.
6. The theme of the Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo story has to do with _____________________________ because it was what each person showed the other throughout their strong friendship.
7. The player was hurt during the first half of the football game and was unfortunately __________________________ for the rest of the season.
8. The players whose job is to go out and score points for the team are known as the _______________________.
9. We were so happy to be online together until a technology issue ____________________________ our spirits.
10. The __________________________ traveled to each college searching for the most skilled players for his team.
11. The players he chose would then become the _________________________________________ because they were the ones who would start each game.
12. and 13. Read the following sentences:
Sandra got an A on her exam. She had studied hard the night before.
Now let's decide which sentence is the cause and which one is the effect.
"Sandra got an A on her exam" is the _________________________________ in this situation.
"She had studied hard the night before" is the ________________________________________.
14. and 15. In the following two statements, please write either "fact" or "opinion" next to each one.
He is the best person for the job. ________________________________________
Tom scored 25 points during the basketball game. ___________________________________
16. A period of ten years is known as a ______________________________________.
17. Fictional stories need a problem, which is known as a _____________________________; characters often spend the entire story trying to resolve this!
18. Jon look for his name on the team __________________________ to see what position he would be playing that day. It was quite a long list!
19. When Terrence became a _____________________________________, this meant he no longer had a contract with any team and could find a new place to play.
20. Isaiah always believed there was a huge difference between playing in an actual scored game than simply playing in a _______________________________________.
YOUR TURN: Create a fill-in of your own (just like the ones you just solved) for one of your classmate to answer! Be sure you know the answer ahead of time (but do not write the answer on the blank!). Good Luck!